Pluses and minuses of CNC metalworking
Metalworking on CNC machines is one of the most modern methods of processing alloys. CNC machines allow specialists to produce a larger number of parts than manually at the same time. In addition, the accuracy of this method of processing metals and alloys is 1:1000, which practically eliminates the human factor.
What are the advantages of metalworking on CNC machines?
The advantages of metal processing on CNC machines include:
- High processing accuracy is guaranteed. We manufacture any number of parts in a short period of time, the accuracy of which is 1 to 1000.
- Exclusion of the influence of the human factor. The operator of CNC machines does not affect the quality of the production of parts, but only ensures the loading and unloading of parts from the machine, and manages its operation.
- Performing several operations on one machine. To save time and speed up the execution of the order, it is possible to perform several operations on the same machine. The operator does not need to load and unload the workpieces each time for a new processing step.
Among the disadvantages of metalworking on CNC machines is the impossibility of manufacturing a part in one instance. Since it is, to say the least, unprofitable financially. Therefore, in this case, it is better to choose methods of manual metal processing.
Also, manual processing of metals, on the contrary, does not allow to exclude error and the human factor. Therefore, by choosing the Lezometal company and turning works on CNC machines, you are guaranteed to receive high accuracy and excellent quality manufactured parts.
Which is better: manual or mechanical metalworking? We surveyed our customers on this topic and here's what they had to say:
Ihor: "When we started ordering parts from the Lezometal company, which uses machines for the metalworking, its accuracy increased. And shortages happen much less often than before"
Maksym: "We always order a large number of parts, more than 1,000 pieces per batch. We receive the finished product within a week, and when we made it "by hand" we waited several months. It is more profitable to order services from a company that performs metalworking on CNC machines, rather than by hand."
What to pay attention to when choosing a contractor?
The demand for metal processing services is quite high. However, not everyone knows what to pay attention to when choosing a contractor. We have prepared some simple recommendations for you.
- Terms of production. Choose the best for you.
- Manual metalworking or CNC metalworking. If you only need one unit of the part or a small print run of up to 10 units, you can safely choose manual processing. For large batches, it is better to give preference to performers working with CNC lathes.
- Delivery. Check whether the contractor has delivered orders. This will be useful if the batch of parts is large. And in general, this is a nice bonus. By the way, we deliver parts manufactured by us throughout Ukraine and abroad.
- Metals and alloys with which the company works. Namely, does the company work with the materials you need? And do you have experience working with them? You can find this information on the company's website.
You can order metalworking services in Lviv on CNC machines from the Lezometal company. We guarantee you high-quality work and short production and delivery times. You can leave an application on our website by filling out the contact form.
The thesis that each of our clients will confirm: in our work, we use only high-quality metals and alloys that meet global industry standards. For the manufacture of your order, we will select the materials specified in the specification for your product.
What materials do we work with?
In most cases, we use the following materials for work:
- Stainless Steel;
- Special alloys;
Processing on milling machines: a multifunctional method of metal processing - this is exactly what we will talk about next. Our specialists have more than 10 years of experience in milling work, so they are happy to share their insights with the readers of our blog. Let's start with the basics!
Types of milling works
Milling works on metal are classified by:
- by the fixing method of the processed workpiece;
- direction of rotation of the cutting element.
Milling according to the method of fixing the processed workpiece on the machine is divided into vertical, horizontal, and corner. According to the rotation of the milling cutter (cutting element), the milling of metal is opposite and parallel.
Counter milling involves the movement of the cutting edge towards the workpiece (on the tooth of the cutter). This is the fastest processing method. The accompanying milling process consists of the movement of the cutter from top to bottom (under the teeth of the cutter). This type of metalworking guarantees a clean cut.
Both of these methods can be combined, which will ensure a much smaller number of defective blanks. For example, large workpieces should be processed first by the opposite method, and later apply the parallel method.
The type of metal surface being processed also affects the method of metal milling. Different types of milling cutters are used for surfaces that differ in the type of fastening, construction, tooth shape, and other characteristics:
- terminal, used in the processing of large parts;
- end ones, which are used when necessary to drill a "well" or a window in the part, to make a groove on it;
- shaped - suitable for milling metal profiles;
- peripheral, the feature of which is a metal chip in the form of a comma sign that remains after milling.
Metal processing in Lviv is our main specialization. Therefore, it is necessary to reveal this topic in more detail. What is metal processing? This is a process that consists in influencing metal or metal alloys with the help of manual labor or special equipment, in order to achieve certain forms, characteristics, dimensions, etc.
What are the main metal processing methods? There are four of them:
- Mechanical processing (cutting).
- Processing of metals under pressure.
All of them can be used both individually and in a complex and various combinations with each other. Let's look at each of them further.
Mechanical (milling) processing or cutting is a technology that is a mechanical effect on materials with the help of tools that, cutting, remove excess. As a result of this process, the metal acquires the required shape.
Laser metal cutting or laser cutting is a method of cutting and cutting metal using a powerful laser. Thanks to this processing method, the cut parts are extremely neat and with clear contours without errors. Also, laser cutting of metal allows you to produce parts of complex, unusual shapes, which are difficult to implement using other methods of metalworking.
The principle of operation is simple: cutting takes place thanks to the action of a powerful laser controlled by a computer. Under the influence of the laser beam, the area on which it is directed ignites and melts. In the process of work, there is no mechanical impact on the metal. Laser cutting is also safe for soft alloys and easily deformable metals.
What metals are suitable for laser cutting? The ideal option is metals with low thermal conductivity. There are several of them:
- Black (carbon) steel (thickness 0.2mm - 30mm);
- Stainless steel (thickness 0.2mm - 12mm);
- Brass (thickness 0.2mm - 12mm);
- Aluminum, aluminum alloys (thickness 0.2 mm - 20 mm);
- Copper, copper alloys (thickness 0.2 mm - 15 mm);